Monday 28 November 2011

Chillin ....

I guess many wouldn't know but I usually write when I’m down and my words are not only words to uplift others but they are like my inner voice penning a letter to myself. Today I want to touch on a personal obstacle and that is procrastination.

I will raise my hand the highest and say laziness, is a skill of mine. I put things off, until the last milli second and for those who can relate. At first you chill out because you think “it’ll get done”, then time begins to move, the last minute arrives and then panic sets in, then the disbelief sets in, then the acceptance that you will fail sets in, then the ultimate “give up” thoughts conclude in your mind and then finally you beat yourself up because you had all that time to prepare. 

I bet your nodding in agreement. I cannot count the amount of times I've experienced these emotions and to be honest they are more draining and more agonising than actually using that same brain power to get the task done on time, however I’m not going to focus on putting myself or anyone down, instead I want to look at the root causes that may be the catalyst for this.

 So while I was in the bath, I had an epiphany, I realised that perhaps procrastination doesn't always come from stupidity or even lack of ambition but perhaps it may sometimes stem from disbelief in self. I figured that perhaps the lack of self belief causes us to subconsciously put things off because we don’t believe we are capable of completing the task with the perfection we feel it deserves.

 Personally I found that while I put things off, I do think of ways I can complete the task and new ideas I can use in order to make it great, however I then have another voice in my mind that says “no, what if it doesn’t work!?” and what I then tend to do is agree and then put the task off for a few more days in order to think of something else.

 This keeps happening until the last minute. I’m not sure what the cure is but I’m definately getting better. So in regards to you I guess a realisation that you are capable of doing it helps. One thing I lived by in uni was lists, as much as I did struggle and panic, I still recommend lists, they are like a backbone. They simply give you a healthy perspective on what you need to complete, and set yourself attainable goals; even if you have to break one task down into mini sections eg.

Cleaning the house; Vacuum/ Mop up Etc

This can apply to anything and there is such a soothing satisfaction when you tick each thing off one by one, plus when you look at that completed list, your self belief begins to rise, the more and more you do it, the more and more you will see how capable you are. 

The other day I thought of making a Vision board for next year; a vision board is a visual list, however it doesn’t have to be “big dreams” it can be a picture of a car, meaning you want to learn to drive in the next year, or a bag that you’ve been meaning to buy, some of us are more visual than others. So that could be a good thing to try.

 Well guess what? I’ve been putting it off but now that I’ve just written this, I’ve just encouraged myself. So give me a few days, I’m going to take my own advice and write down a list and start making my vision board.  

To conclude, you’re going to feel discouraged and that the task may be too big but it isn’t, you are capable and you have exactly what it takes to complete it to your individual perfection.